Thursday, March 18, 2010

Escaped Propriety


I love this painting, if I do say so myself (my mom used to say that!) This painting is 10 inches by 20 inches and is on 3/4 inch canvas. The technique used on this painting is layering. The gold metallic paint introduces a new dimension that is interesting on the fabric.

A fabric with a sheen and vertical pattern to the fabric was attached to the canvas board. Acrylic paint was applied all over in block fashion. Paint, dry, glossy varnish medium applied. Repeat 2 - 3 more times. The swirls were added on top of the blocks to create a visual display that is ordered, yet free. Hence the name, "Escaped Propriety."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love this painting, too, but for entirely different reasons. It reminds me of ironwork on the porch of the first home Troy and I bought- yet isn't the actual ironwork so isn't reminding me of how badly we needed to paint ours.