Saturday, November 15, 2008

Laughter Lifts You Higher

I don't think there is a thing in the world more healing than laughter. This week has been such a sad week with our friends, the Allen's, losing Ben. On Wednesday night when some of the "girls" were with Judy, it was good to see that she was able to laugh. A healing laugh.

The funeral today for Ben wasn't called a funeral, but a "fun" eral. Many stories were told and there was laughter and tears . . . just as Ben would have wanted it. The playing of Ben's playlist at the end was great. Not churchy at all.

I'm reminded of a time when we had the Allen's over for dinner and games. We were playing some silly game where everyone was supposed to write down their answer to a question and then the "guesser" had to guess who said what. The question was to name some fashion statement that girls/ladies do that you just don't get. Ben wrote down "glamour lips." We asked him about it and he cocked his head back and pooched out his lips like a model, pointed to his lips and said, "Glamour lips." We still cackle about that.

I also remember another time after we moved here I was feeling "home sick" for Atlanta. I had a group over for Bunco and was trying to be a decent hostess, all the while feeling blue. While sitting in the living room, Judy Allen, Donna Ware, Lori Wallace and Denise Waldrop all burst into our house wearing orange and green wigs. I don't know how they knew that I needed sisters that night, but I forgot all about being homesick and realized I was home . . . with all the other crazies, just like me. :) I laughed so hard I almost . . . well, you know.

More embarrassing and funny moments to come. I got a million of 'em.

Laughing amid the hurt,
Lila

No comments: