Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pay It Forward - Stacy's Story

I was involved in some staff training last week for Customer Service. We talked about the importance of Paying it Forward and showed a little clip from the movie, Pay it Forward. I gave four employees $10.00 each to find a way to pay it forward this next month and to report back to us at our next inservice. How does this relate to Customer Service? When you are focused on others, you are more attentive to their needs and not so focused on oneself.

While I was explaining the game "rules" I heard a quiet voice in the back of the room utter, "You don't have to have money to pay it forward." I agreed and went on with the "rules."

After the inservice ended, Stacy came up to me. She is new to us and I didn't know much about her. She told me that she was the one who said you didn't need money to "pay it forward". I affirmed her comment.

Stacy went on to tell me that her baby had died in April of this year from Shaken Baby Syndrome and she wants to pay it forward by going into the high schools or any other platform she can find to tell about Shaken Baby Syndrome, the signs and what can be done to stop an abuser. Stacy's little girl was 2 1/2 months old when she died and her husband has been charged. Stacy is left alone to raise her little boy. She lost her husband and her daughter in the same day.

As she told me her story, tears filled her eyes and said she can't give money to anyone but she can tell her story. I also told her that if she wanted a platform to talk about it in our pay it forward update next month she can use the inservice for that.

Stacy is 24 years old. Please join me in praying for Stacy and her little boy. I'm thinking I'd like to help out Stacy and her son this Christmas. If any of you would like to join me in this endeavor, please let me know. Thanks.

Haunted,
Lila

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

Wow, count me in! Let me know how to help and you've got it. What a heartbreaking story.

Willing to do what I can.
Sheryl

Sarah said...

Anytime I see a spouse/ boyfriend charged with such a horrific crime, I wonder about the mom: did she have any idea when she left her child with that person? how many times has she wished she could take that day and do it over? how is she holding up?

I'm thankful this mom has you in her life, and was open about her story and her pain so that others can minister to her. May we all carry her through on our prayers...

Unknown said...

Not only does she need our prayers, even though she needs those more than anything, she needs us. And she needs us most right now, as Christmas is the most difficult holiday time of all, along with the baby's birthday, as well as her own wedding anniversary. "Special" days are the most difficult time of all, and with everyone else enjoying their time with family and friends - and children, it is the time when folks like her are most forgotten, most alone.

She is very courageous, as even being able to talk about it testifies to it.

Could you let those of us, who want to help, know of specific things she needs, and count me in. And if she is comfortable with it, would you introduce her to ladies who would be sensitive to her other needs, and count me in.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying. <3

Suzanne said...

Praying for Stacy and would love to help out. Just let me know how I can help.