Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Time to Make the Donuts.

I really do, with all sincerity love my job. I believe that God has uniquely fitted me to the aging field. I get up in the morning and truly look forward to the day. I enjoy the residents I serve and the staff I serve alongside.

Some mornings I admit that I feel like the guy on the old Dunkin' Donuts commercial.
When his alarm went off at 3 or 4 a.m. he would get up, bleary eyed and declare, "It's time to make the donuts."

Sometimes this body feels the same way when my alarm goes off. But lately I'll go to bed with more ideas than I can shake a stick at for what I want to do the next day at work or with my art. By the time the evening rolls around after work, the creative energy seems to be spent.

Busy-ness of the day seems to blind my heart with each 'to do' task. I am meeting more and more people who are looking for a wonderful place where their loved one will not only survive but thrive. I believe I work at such a place, so it gives me great joy to share with them about it.

But at the end of the day... hoo-eee!

I remember commenting to my husband when we were in our 20's that I didn't understand why people in their 50's didn't seem to volunteer with the youth ministry or anything else much. Now? I get it. They (we) are tired. Yep. Bone tired.

It is my prayer that God uses me during the day with others and refreshes my spirit through art and being with my husband in the evening. This allows me to replenish my juices so I can "make the donuts" the next day.

Willing to make the donuts,
Lila

No comments: