Sunday, April 12, 2009

Rhythms of Life



I'm up in Blue Heaven. I hear Caroline, our youngest, in the next room packing up again to head back to college. It's been a great Easter weekend with her.

Ah, the rhythms of life.

I remember holding my tiny baby girls and thinking my heart would just tear in two if they ever left me. Then they begin growing and exerting independence and wisdom and short of clipping their wings, it becomes impossible to let them not fly.

In fact, you really want them to fly. It is what they were created to do. It is a beautiful thing to see them becoming the women they were created to be. They aren't perfect. (Neither am I...) They won't be. (Neither will I...) But, they are growing. (So am I...)

So, as Caroline shuffles down the staircase with her suitcase to put her things in her car, I can anticipate another climb up the stairs for her to come in and give me a hug and a kiss and let me know that she is looking forward to Wednesday night's dinner together. Me, too.

Life. Ebbs. Flows. Goes. As my mother used to sing to me, "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be will be." Yes. That is true.

I'm comforted to know that God is walking and sometimes carrying me and those I love in our rhythms of life.

Que Sera Sera,
Lila

For the record, I was right. Care did come back upstairs and kiss me and let me know she is looking forward to dinner. Thank you, Father. What a gift.

2 comments:

Trish said...

:) "A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for." I'm confident your daughter appreciates you and your ability to not stifle her in life.

Unknown said...

And she's beautiful, on top of all this!