Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fifteen Minutes to Insight


I love a labyrinth as it is not a maze that can confuse and frustrate you. In a maze there are many different paths. In a labyrinth, there is one way.

I've wanted to walk the new labyrinth at ACU (Abilene Christian University) and got a chance this morning. It's a lovely area close to the lake and fountain. They've done a wonderful job of landscaping the grounds with vibrant tulip trees and great west Texas grasses. The labyrinth itself is engraved in thought provoking words along the path...endurance, patience, devotion, etc.

I almost didn't go this morning though I had planned it. The wind has been ferocious today. I imagined a sinus headache that wouldn't go away until next Wednesday if I went. The headache didn't happen, but clarity and insight crawled up my legs and worked their way into my head and my heart as I was journeying the labyrinth.

Some takeaways from this morning...
  • AS YOU THINK YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO LEFT, YOU GO RIGHT.
  • Life is unpredictable as hard as we try to make it predictable.
  • TRUST THE JOURNEY.
  • You may not see how you are going or have the "big picture" but if you just follow the path, you will get there.
  • "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
  • Stop trying to figure it out. Just know you'll have more understanding of whatever when and if you are supposed to.
I worked with a lady named Ann once who always seemed calm. Even in the midst of chaos or rude or mean people. I asked Ann what her secret was about staying peaceful in the midst of upheaval. She simply said, "Susan, you just do the next right thing." Indeed.

Results of labyrinth . . clarity and peace.

The winds whipped, but my spirit calmed in the midst of the battering wind. My wish for you this day is

Peace,
Lila

1 comment:

Linda said...

when I bought my house - with a big FLAT backyard, I was reminded of a promise I made myself years ago after walking a labyrinth.... if I had a place to put one, I would.

2 summers ago, I spray painted one on our backyard....

Now, I have the bricks to lay... just need the time to do it!

Thank you for reminding me how much I love to walk labyrinths (so do my kids!)... and how much I love Jer 29:11