Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mud...or Stars?


“Two men look out through the same bars; One sees the mud and the other the stars.” ~Frederick Langbridge

My mom was such an optimist. Looking back at my growing up years, I’m thankful to still be alive. For I know I must have tested her patience in a million ways. To those who know me now, you probably find it hard to believe that I was ever really negative. But, boy, howdy, was I ever.

I know that eighth grade is really the worst grade for many people and I certainly lived that out in my life! In fact, for that year I can claim the distinction of “neversmilingmywholeeighthgradeyear”. Honestly. (Well, in my mind, it’s honest, anyway.) Back then, The Mod Squad was a popular TV show. Julie, played by Peggy Lipton was my ultimate role model. She had long straight blonde hair (very desirable in 1972). I had long, wavy brown hair. This was before those fabulous flat irons that we use now. She was skinny and long legged. I was just average. She worked with two really cool guys on the squad (Linc and Pete) and they made a cool team. And here’s the real kicker…she never really smiled. So, I never smiled.

I remember once a friend asked me why I didn’t smile anymore and I told her that Julie on the Mod Squad didn’t smile. Wow! The power of TV! The other reason I didn’t smile is because I looked at “the glass as empty - - not even half empty.

Through the years I learned a bit more about how to look at things in a more positive light, though at times I see more mud than stars. God continually reminds me to be thankful in all circumstances and as a result of that gratitude the stars of life become more brilliant with each “thankful act.”

It is my wish for you, dear reader, that you and I will grasp the wonderful power of gratitude.

Star gazing,

Lila

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

AbbieCRAZY said...

Welcome to blog world!

I'm really thankful to not be in the 8th grade anymore! I smiled ALL THE TIME! It was screaming, Somebody Like ME! Please!