Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Number One?


“The good life doesn’t require you to be number one.”~Alexandra Stoddard

We had a friend many years ago who was a brain surgeon. He said his father always pushed him to be the best. I nonchalantly said to him, “Oh yes, my parents always pushed me to do my best, too. He said with a heaviness on his heart, “Susan, there is an ocean of difference between being the best and doing your best.”

How true our friend was. In striving to be the best, you are never content. While I’m one that is constantly struggling to find that next wonderful “thing” I realize that is a part of me because I’m drawn to excellence. However, sometimes in our “quest for excellence”, we may sometimes skip over “wonderful” without even a glancing nod. What a shame.

Wonderfully,
Lila

No comments: