Thursday, August 7, 2008

Inbox culture

I've read a couple of books lately by Seth Godin. He's a real revolutionary writer and thinker. Here's something he had on his blog. Points to ponder.

Seth says...

"When you're done with your email queue, are you done?

Do you spend your day responding and reacting to incoming all day... until the list is empty? ... and then you're done.

I'm noticing that it's easier than ever to have that sort of day. Online tools are arranging interactions in a line, allowing you to feel satisfied with a constant stream of incoming alerts and pings.

Years ago, I got my mail (the old fashioned kind) once a day. It took twenty minutes to process and I was forced to spend the rest of the day initiating, reaching out, inventing and designing. Today, it's easy to spend the whole day hitting 'reply'.

Carving out time to initiate is more important than ever."


I (Susan) kind of like checking my inbox. There's something magical about seeing a new message (or a new comment on a blog). It's kind of like a gift. But at work, it's an endless list of things to do.

Pondering,
Lila

No comments: