Sunday, August 31, 2008

Red Shoe

I remember when Mary moved into Christian Towers. Mary was a wonderful woman who had a contagious joy about her. I wondered how she would live independently as she was blind and a single leg amputee. She got around in her wheelchair very well, I learned and was far more independent than a lot of "independent" people I knew.

In Mary's life she had been married to four Baptist ministers and all four had died. She had a strong faith in the Lord and loved to tell others of his goodness.

I'll never forget a conversation I had with Mary one day. She was telling me how upset her son had made her. He had questioned if she was independent enough to live at the Towers. She told him in no uncertain terms that she was quite independent and would even prove it to him. She said she'd get her red shoe on and her red dress on and go out and catch another minister!

Whoo-ee!!

In the presence of sassiness,
Lila

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

That story CRACKED ME UP.

AbbieCRAZY said...

So preachers respond to red shoes and red dresses?

I'm asking....