Thursday, December 25, 2008

IHOP on Christmas Morn - It Sizzles!

Every one of us has a story to tell every day of our lives. However, on Christmas morning, it seems our stories sizzle. You can almost feel and sense the electricity in the air. The stories either sizzle with excitement; sizzle with mystery; or sizzle with a sadness.

As our family gets older, our Christmases take on a different hue. We no longer get up early and open presents. We sometimes do that later in the day as we will today. Also, presents have taken on much lesser importance in our home.

Our oldest daughter, Katie Lea, was puppy sitting for some friends so was at their apartment last night. Our youngest daughter, Caroline, went to keep her company and this was the first Christmas morning we thought we'd be waking up at home without them here.

After getting up Vann commented that both daughters cars were home. When we went into see them, they commented that their experience was like trying to care for the "cute little puppy" from hell. It didn't help that they were all in a one bedroom apartment.

Anyway, after getting on up, Katie Lea chose to sleep in a little before heading to work and Caroline chose to come with Vann and me to IHOP for breakfast.

We commented that we don't need any entertainment in a restaurant. We are all people watchers to the extreme. We have it down to a science. We can make up the stories about the people at the tables. Sometimes they are funny. Sometimes they are just downright hilarious. We like to wonder what others are thinking about us, too.

This morning we saw an elderly mom having breakfast with her elderly daughter. They were both bedazzled in their finest Christmas attire. I wonder if they were thinking this might be their last Christmas together.

We saw a very young dad eating with his young son. I wondered where the mom was and what their story was. We saw some larger family gatherings as well. They were loud and rambunctious and seemed to have so much fun together.

Then we saw an older man with a very unruly beard and an odor about him. He was eating with his head down. I noticed he had 13 pennies on the table. I wondered if that was to pay his bill or for the tip. I wish I had paid for his meal. I'm ashamed to say I didn't think about it until we were home.

Sometimes I wish I had one of those big, rambunctious, fun families like so many seem to have. Our families are both very small and far away. I just have my brother and my mom. Vann just has his sister and brother in law and a brother who is going through a divorce.

But then I'm reminded that I have many sister friends that are my family and I'm very thankful. Matthew 12:50 says "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Today I'm thankful for abundant life on this beautiful Christmas day. The birds are singing, Yurtle our turtle made an appearance today, Katie Lea is on her way home with the cute little needy puppy, we'll soon be having shrimp and dressing and God is on his throne.

And...there is no better Christmas gift than Jesus. Thank you, Father.


Happy Birthday, Jesus,
Lila

3 comments:

merryheart2 said...

hi there
i read your story this morning and i have to say, we have a lot in common. my hubby and i were discussing last night how our family dynamics are changing and how Christmas is so different now. we have 2 grown children and only one was here with her family.

we also love people watching. i enjoyed your story.

i hope you enjoyed your Christmas evening with your family.
Sandra

Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sandra. I couldn't figure out how to sign up for Type pad without it charging me. I enjoyed your blog.

JoAnn said...

Glad you got the Christmas card! And yes, Christmas mornings are much quieter with kids getting older, until the grandkids come :)
Hugs to you and Vann,
Jo Ann