Thursday, December 11, 2008

When I Grow Up

I had an interesting occurrence at my work. I serve the most gracious senior residents - - really. They are a classy group. But, this particular day, I got to know one of our residents in a new light. Not so classy.

This woman, I'll call her Bess, almost got the best of me. Dr. C's office called and spoke with me and told me that Bess had called their office. She reported to the doctor's office that her husband had fallen the night before and had hit his head. Bess had claimed to them that no one had responded and that she had pushed the emergency button all night long and had called 911 all night and no one came. The doctor's office wanted Bess' husband to go to the ER since she claimed he had hit her head

I went to Bess' apartment with a co-worker (important in these situations to not go alone). I saw Bess' husband sitting in a chair and unharmed. He said he had fallen but was fine. When Bess finally came into the living room she totally ignored us. Like we were literally invisible. Wow!

I began talking and sharing what the nurse at their doctor's office told me. Bess started speaking very disrespectfully to me. She was really getting in my face. My co-worker and I ascertained that the emergency system did indeed work. I have to say, it was very tempting to get back in her face, but wisdom knew that would only intensify the situation and wouldn't help. Sometimes I'd like wisdom to be quiet, but I'm thankful it's not.

My co-worker and I later met with Bess' daughter. Bless this poor woman's heart. She didn't know what to do. She said her mom gets this way when she gets overly tired. Seemed more like mental illness to me. This daughter has endured a lifetime of this.

I've been in the retirement industry since 1981. During that time I've learned what I want to be "when I grow up" and what I don't want to be. Bess was a good reminder to me . . .

No comments: